From Lillie to Lily

Thursday, June 15, 2017




You may have wondered why my the spelling of my daughter's nickname changed from Lillie Mae to Lily (sometimes Mae).

It's because I should never be allowed to name babies while super hormonal pregnant.

Totally my bad.

Lillian Mae was always a top contender when I was pregnant as Lillian is my beloved great-grandmother Isca's middle name and Mae is my beloved great-grandmother Ethel Mae's middle name. So the full legal name was easy but we wanted to give her the nickname Lily or Lilly or Lillie, because hello it's pretty and sweet and very vintage sounding which we both like for girls names.

Bryan pulled for the simple "y" version, because it was the most logical and meaningful way to spell it: both he and I have common names with the uncommon "y" spelling. (I am Katy not Katie and he is Bryan not Brian. )

In my hormonal, large, itrrational state (I cry a lot when I'm pregnant), I pulled for the "double l, i-e" version because it seemed the most obvious way to shorten Lillian, and since I'm the mom I won on the name argument. ;)

I like all spellings of the name. I do. But about a week after she was born and Facebook-announced I started to regret my resistance to use the more sentimental and flower-spelled "y" version, so in true Katy-fashion, I admitted my fault a little too late and we did our best to patch it up. We did a slow transition to the new spelling. I called her baby girl or sister a lot on social media in the hopes that people would forget how her nick name was originally spelled. (This was not entirely the case once I publicly switched to the "y" which is why I am offering this explanation.)

So there you go, blame the hormones!

Lily is currently not looking anything like the above adorable photo, but is crying straight at my face and I think it's because she knows I screwed this up. Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment