Crafty Projects For Our Home

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Hello, hello! Haysie is sitting right next to me and is telling me so many sweet things. "Mom, I want to sit and watch you work.", and "I like your 'puter (computer). I guess I'll get a wittle 'puter cause I'm a wittle boy." Not being much of a Fournado today---too busy being cute!

This past weekend I stayed up into the night working on a few projects that I actually somewhat completed so I thought I would share!

First up is this new (to me) cane back chair that I found during my first-ever trip to a furniture consignment store. I have a thing for cane back chairs and have been looking for a "petite" chair to fit in our little built-in bathroom vanity and was so happy to find this cutie! It was already in pretty great condition (I love the way the wood looks) but the seat needed to be recovered so I took my first go at upholstery and let me just tell you that I quickly found I am not destined to work in the upholstery business!! 




I went through my fabric stash and picked one of my favorite favorite remnants from a clearance bin a few years ago. I only had to purchase the trim from Hobby Lobby which cost me a whopping $2. 

I spent most of the evening watching Christmas movies and pulling and tugging and trying to get the dang corners to look the same. I eventually pretty much gave up and decided to give the chair a "pleated" look in the corners (which actually still took me half a Hallmark movie to get right) because, as I said, furniture upholstery is apparently not one of my gifts. 

This is what I got in the end, and I'm pretty happy with it especially since it was such a cheap project.






I still need to get another strip of smaller trim to put on top of the first because you can still kind of see some of the staples and fabric edges, which is why I said at the beginning of this post that these projects are almost complete.




Cute little thing in its new nook!





My second project of the evening was to spruce up my good ole' Christmas wreath that has hung on our front door since before Parker was born. I purchased this wreath at a WONDERFUL store called Paul Michael's when my in-laws lived in Louisiana and I kid you not, I stuffed it in my suitcase to fly back to Lubbock (MUCH to my sister-in-law's amusement, and I think, amazement). 


I re-did this wreath last year as well but in a more understated way with my usual neutrals and greens....but this year we went crazy outside and put up RED and white Christmas lights so it opened me up to a whole new world decorating-wise mostly because, for anyone who doesn't know, I don't use red in my inside Christmas decor which always makes me a bit sad, but it's just not in my house at all and doesn't fit! I was pumped to get to use some traditional red outside. (It's the little things, guys.)


Usually we go all white with our exterior lights, but both boys were begging for "fun" lights, and since we are in "Christmas Prime-Time" for them, we just had to oblige!


Anyways! I am so good at rambling.


Here is the wreath.




(I'm kind of impressed that these are iPhone photos--phone pictures have come a long way recently!)

I made me another trip to Hobby Lobby--WHICH, I need to tell you, my new pop-up-shop friend (her name is Aubree) is from California (just moved here) and SHE HAS NEVER BEEN TO HOBBY LOBBY.  I kind of freaked and told her to change that as soon as possible!

Anyways, I made another trip to HL and got some battery-operated lights and a few little red berries and ribbon (I already had the magnolia leaves, seed pods, and pine cones) and wah-lah! A traditional (but still natural and kind of messy--as I love) RED Christmas wreath. 






It's hard to tell, but our door is really tall (like 8 or 9'?) and it looks so grand and festive with the "new" wreath!






Also, wreath-decorating is best while watching DVR'd marathons of "Trisha's Southern Kitchen". Trust me. 

That's all I've got.
 Bye!








No comments:

Post a Comment