Sweet Summertime

Monday, June 19, 2017

I don't have a favorite season because each one has its perks. 

In no particular order, here are my Summertime Favorites:

1. Swimming
2. Seeing all our family during trips.
3. Watermelon
4. Smores
5. Water Balloons
6. Movie Nights
7. Baseball Games
8. Days spent in jammies
9. VBS
10. 4th of July
11. Fireworks
12. Grilling out
13. Popsicles 
14. Evenings outside with good food and good company (and maybe good music)
15. More excuses to go to Sonic happy hour and half price milkshakes.

I'm happy to report that this last weekend consisted of a lot of my list and so it was pretty awesome! 

Friday we stayed in our jammies until around lunch. I measured the boys because I finally, finally remembered! 





I hope I never forget how precious and kissable my children are these days. I so easily take it for granted, but truly...



They can't get much cuter than this.

Our cousins Hensley and Beau are in town for the next couple of weeks so we headed to Grammy's house and did what we do best in the summer: SWIM. Lily Mae was looking adorably classic as usual in her little flutter sleeve suit. I wish I had bought it in every size!



The boys did most of the showing off with their dives and cannonballs, but I will say that I did a flip into the pool last weekend and was fairly impressed that my post-baby body could handle that level of exertion. 

My children are fish and it is truly the best! Something about sitting out by the water and watching them be so brave and carefree is good for my heart and mind.



Popsicles and pushpops were the very obvious choice for a post-swim snack. Hayes is so into saying "cheese" and I find it utterly cute.




Grammy ordered pizza for dinner and then we stole Hensley for our church's movie night on the lawn. I really love this new tradition (it was our second year to attend). We loaded up blankets, chairs, and a sack full of unhealthy snacks and chilled out while we watched Paddington. 




I almost fell asleep a few times. I never realized until I became a parent just how exhausting all of these fun childhood memories are to actually plan and create.




In other news,  Lilybug started pulling up on Saturday because apparently she is grown and will be starting college in August. I really and truly still think she is a newborn. WHY does she have to go and get all independent on her mama?



Saturday: Work and Relaxation (A Good Mix). We slept in, watched golf, did house projects, Bryan took the boys to Lowe's (which every boy mom knows is an actual play activity and keeps you on Good Parent status), worked in the yard, and I ORGANIZED OUR PANTRY. This is a big deal. I hate organizing the pantry but feel so good once it is done. 



Bryan grilled us some burgers and hot dogs for dinner and then we watched Toy Story 3 and roasted s'mores in the living room. Easily one of my favorite Pinterest Cool Mom hacks was buying those Sterno green cans so we can make s'mores whenever we please.



I stayed up entirely too late to wrap Bryan's Father's Day gift and clean up the house but I just can't help myself. One of my favorite parts of being a Mom and Wife is getting to plan celebrations and holidays and Father's Day is no exception! This year the kids got him a new pair of Reef flip flops and some pecans and I got him a new golf hat and a gift card for a round of golf at Rawls. (Alright, I actually got him both gifts, but we can pretend.)




Lily and her friend (future beau?) Easton. I cannot believe that she is a week older than him or that they were due on the same day. Isn't that hilarious? Our little peanut. We joke that this will be in their wedding slideshow. (Which I'm crossing my fingers for--we love the Gillespie family!)



Bryan picked OTB for lunch which I believe everyone was happy about. Hayes could eat a pound of meixcan rice in one sitting and I'm a sucker for chips and queso so we are always safe with some Tex Mex after church. (Parker's only condition for restaurants is that there is a kid's menu with crayons. So typical and something that I love about him.)

We headed home and took naps/watched the U.S. Open on Sunday afternoon. "That's what I like about Sundays", yes? Sunday night was quite a treat because we were able to see Bryan's aunt and uncle, Doug and Lyn, who drove in from Gordon, and of course the rest of the Roberts family for a Father's Day celebration of BBQ, banana pudding, Texas sheet cake, and lots more swimming!




We also did water balloons. I feel this should be mentioned because they are quite possibly the highlight of my boys lives at the moment. A few weeks ago Parker got a hold of the last (filled) balloon and wanted to save it so we took it home and displayed it on our kitchen shelves like a trophy. Until Hayes climbed up there and threw it a few days later. You can't make this stuff up. Also, 2017 is getting super fancy with water balloons--we've been using these and they are just as fun to fill up as they are to throw. 



We ended the evening with some downtime (see also: Grammy's phone). Look how cute these little cousins are. There's nothing better than tired little ones with pool hair and clean jammies.



We got home and were able to FaceTime with my Dad and Mom for a good while before sending the kids to bed. It was a great Father's Day!

I am so thankful for the men in my life. After weekends like these, I can't help but think of how hard we all have to work and how intentional we must be to provide a life for our families that is happy, safe, and filled with sweet memories, and I know that the men in our family are the reasons we get to live our lives the way we do. They are wonderful leaders, servants, and examples for each of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment